Head of Legal -Transaction Services
Ahmed joined Ritz Attorneys at Law (the Firm) in August 2013 as an associate. In 2019 Ahmed was promoted to Head of Legal – Transaction Services and International Partnership Development of the Firm. He oversees a range of strategic priorities of the Firm, including but not limited to, development of client relationships via regular client engagement and delivery of high-quality transaction services in drafting, project finance, public-private partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, listing on the stock exchange, private equity, restructuring and reorganizations and all manner of non-litigious instructions. He is also the Vice-Chairperson of the Practice Management Committee.
Ahmed focuses on general energy law, due diligence, advisory, consultation, regulatory compliance, and transactional. He has gained in-depth experience advising clients in highly regulated environments, mainly clients in the energy, oil and gas, independent power producers, mining, and petroleum sectors.
Ahmed holds a Bachelor Laws [Hons] degree from the Islamic University in Uganda. He was subsequently admitted to practice law in the Malawi Supreme Court of Appeal, the High Court of Malawi and all Courts subordinate thereto, in 2019. He has currently completed a Master of Laws degree [LLM] in Energy [Mineral and Petroleum Extraction and Use] at the University of Cape Town in the Republic of South Africa. His LLM focused on aspects of Comparative Mineral Law in Africa and beyond, Negotiation Techniques of Mining Contracts, Oil and Gas Law and Contracts, Resource Revenue Law and its concomitant Tax Issues.
Aside from these qualifications, Ahmed has attended several Continous Professional Development Courses. Ahmed holds a certificate in Drafting Commercial Agreements presented by the Malawi Law Society, November 2015, an Advanced Course Certificate in Effective Legal Writing under the Professional Development Project presented by the University of Cape Town, September 2018. He further holds certificates of attendances in COVID-19 and Local Content Requirements in the Extractives Industries, Role of Fossil Fuels in the Energy Transition Era: Challenges and Key Issues for Policymakers, and CEPMLP PhD Researchers Association Graduate Symposium, 2020. Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy of the University of Dundee conducted all these webinars or symposiums in conjunction with the African Energy & Mineral Management Initiative and the Extractives Hub.
- Umodzi Cane Growers Association: Rendering transactional, advisory, and dispute settlement services to the Association.
- Sociadade De Niassa: Rendering intellectual property services. Mainly applying for deregistration of an existing Trade Mark for non-compliance with the Trade Marks law and subsequently registering a fresh Trade Mark
- Chibuku Products Limited: Rendering transactional, advisory, and dispute settlement services. These services include intellectual property, employment, debt collection, workman’s compensation, and regulatory compliance.
- FDH Financial Holdings Limited: Rendering transactional, advisory, and dispute settlement services since 2015. These services include bank loans, forex transactions, securities trading, real estate, and regulatory compliance.
- Anchor Industries Limited: Rendering transactional services mainly on intellectual property. These services include registration of Trade Marks, Patents, Designs among others.
- Plastic Extrusion & Moulding Limited: Rendering dispute settlement and debt collection services.
- MBL Holdings Limited: Representing the holding company and all its subsidiaries including but not limited Mulli Brothers Limited, Celcom Limited, National Bus Company Limited, Smallholder Tea Company Limited, Chitakale Plantations Limited, Chombe Foods Limited, Ecosave Limited, Web Commercial Limited, Chikale Tea Estates Limited, Zoa Estate Limited, Exclusive Garments Limited, Flatland Timbers Limited and Chombe Foods Limited on all their corporate finance and banking law transactions.
- Petroleum Importers Limited [PIL]: Representing PIL in a market share dispute with Malawi Government wanting to give preferential treatment to a state enterprise, National Oil Company Limited.
- The Registered Trustees of the Road Transporters Association: Providing legal advisory and litigation services
- Blue Deebaj FZ Company and Africa Fertilizers Ltd: Litigation services over contractual disputes.
- Member, The Malawi Law Society
- Pending Member, The Malawi Commercial Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Member, World Association of Mining Lawyers
Prior and Present Employment
- Head of Legal Department – Transactional Services and International Partnership Development, Ritz Attorneys at Law (2019 to date)
- Associate, Ritz Attorneys at Law (2013 to 2020)
- Lecturer, Blantyre International University (2017 – 2019)
- Intern, Hanniford & Associates (2011-2012)