Lusungu is founded our Firm in 2013. He is the Managing Partner. Generally he focuses on corporate and commercial law. In particular, he is renowned for his banking, finance and fintech experience. His main areas of interest are project finance, infrastructure finance, securities listings and general trading, corporate finance, investment financing, foreign direct investments and all manner of development financing. His advice areas include but are not limited to drafting commercial contracts and associated instruments, litigation, mediation, arbitration, regulatory compliance and general consultancy services in banking, finance and fintech. His clients include leading banks and corporates, start-ups, investors, insurers, money remitters, and credit providers.
As banking, finance and fintech [the field] continues to evolve at an unprecedented speed, there are not only a host of opportunities but also risks in the field. To fully exploit these opportunities and proactively and effectively manage these risks, Lusungu regularly partners with specialists across our Firm [in areas such as tax, corporate transactions, employment, insolvency, business rescue, debt recovery and mergers and acquisitions] to deliver best quality service.
Lusungu graduated from University of Malawi in 2008. He earned admission to practice in Malawi the same year. He has the right to practice in the Malawi Supreme Court of Appeal, the High Court of Malawi and all Courts subordinate thereto. He subsequently attended Harvard Law School – Executive Education program for Accelerated Leadership Program. He arbitration qualifications with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Techno-Brain Limited and Crown Agents Limited: Advising these two multinational companies in a dispute concerning application and execution of contract for installation and commissioning of a tax administration system with Malawi Revenue Authority. With value of dispute being in excess of USD 13 million.
- Africa Investment Group Limited [AIG]: Advising AIG, a multinational company [with offices in several countries including Switzerland, Seychelles and Mauritius] in its farm in-put trade transactions with local businesses. AIG trades big volumes of agriculture inputs [such as fertilizers and allied products] with major agriculture related companies in Malawi including ADMARC, Auction Holdings Limited and Agriculture Trading Company Limited.
- Afrimax Limited: Sitting on the board of Afrimax Limited [an ICT venture] expanding into fintech investment at unprecedented speed. Afrimax constantly requires advice on employment, regulatory compliance and
- Zambia Cooperative Federation: Advising on a trade dispute and handled the arbitration and later litigation proceedings that ensued on a transaction involving over USD 1.5 million.
- FDH Financial Holdings Limited: Rendering transactional, advisory and dispute settlement services since 2015. These services include bank loans, forex transactions, securities trading, real estate and regulatory compliance.
- General Alliance Insurance Company Limited: Advising on underwriting and claim payment. Further scope of instructions includes labour law and employment advisory services and advising on commercial contracts.
- Liberty Insurance Company Limited: Litigation and arbitration services bordering on execution and actualization of insurance policies. Dealing with employment and labour and employment law issues.
- MyBucks Banking Corporation Limited: Providing traditional banking, finance and fintech-related services of an external lawyer in transactional, advisory and dispute settlement instructions since 2017.
- Lujeri Tea Estates Limited [LTE]: Advising on syndication/amalgamation of divers loan facilities that LTE had with three of the biggest banks in Malawi [National Bank of Malawi Plc, Standard Bank Plc and First Capital Bank Plc] by way of security agency agreement using LTE’s asset base of about USD 45 million.
- Admike Import and Export [AIE]: Representing AIE in its debt recovery claim against ADMARC for the sum of around USD 2.3 million.
- Project Building Contractors: Advising on financial consequences of breach of contract couched in United States Dollars yet executed/performed in Malawi; advising on the foreign exchange issues arising and litigating to remedy harm suffered by Project Building Contractors to the value of USD 500 000-00.
- OG Plastic Industries  Limited: Enforcing arbitration agreement against a former Managing Director who had fraudulently converted finances in the sum of over USD 1.5 million to his own use.
- NBS Bank Plc: Advising NBS on regulatory compliance in the United States of America with USA PATRIOTIC Act and facilitating seamless appointment and collaboration with process agents in the USA.
- Malawi Fertilizer Company Limited [MFC]: Drafting and advising on construction and financing contracts between MFC [Employer] and SR Nicholas Limited [the Contractor] and a project engineer for a fertilizer loading bay in Liwonde in Malawi with a total value of over USD 6 million.
- Meridian Group of Companies [MGC] [Malawi]: Advising subsidiaries of MGC in Malawi including but not limited to Farmers World Limited, Demeter Seed Limited, Grain Securities Limited and Agora Limited on all their corporate and commercial activities since 2017.
- MBL Holdings Limited: Representing the holding company and all its subsidiaries including but not limited Mulli Brothers Limited, Celcom Limited, National Bus Company Limited, Smallholder Tea Company Limited, Chitakale Plantations Limited, Chombe Foods Limited, Ecosave Limited, Web Commercial Limited, Chikale Tea Estates Limited, Zoa Estate Limited, Exclusive Garments Limited, Flatland Timbers Limited and Chombe Foods Limited on all their corporate finance and banking law transactions.
- Transglobe Produce Exports Limited [TPE]: Advising on banking and finance transactions of TPE together with its subsidiaries/associated companies including but not limited to Tayub Corporation Limited, Afri-Brands Limited, Tayub’s Furniture and Mbabzi Estates Limited on off-shore borrowing, local loans structuring and venture equity finance.
- Export Trading Group Limited [ETG]: Providing regulatory compliance advice foreign remittances, on tax implications of disinvestments or transfer of shares in Malawi and advising on labour and employment law issues for ETG and its subsidiaries in Malawi.
- Petroleum Importers Limited [PIL]: Representing PIL in a market share dispute with Malawi Government wanting to give preferential treatment to a state enterprise, National Oil Company Limited.
Member, Malawi Law Society
Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member, Harvard Law School – Executive Education Program
Prior and Present Employment
Managing Partner, Ritz Attorneys at Law [2013 to date]
Head of Litigation – Ralph and Arnolds Associates [2010-2013]
Associate, Raymond and Hughes [2008-2010]
Senior Resident Magistrate, Malawi Judiciary [January 2008 – February, 2008]