Partner and Chairperson of the Procurement Committee
Wanangwa Hara is a Partner. He is also a Chairperson of the Procurement Committee of the Practice. He further oversees Staff recruitment and retention. He is our member of the Executive Management Committee.
Mr. Hara completed his Bachelor of Laws (Hons) Degree from the University of Malawi, Chancellor College in 2014. He graduated in 2015. He was subsequently admitted to the Malawi bar the same year. He is a member of the Malawi Law Society.
Mr. Hara has been with our Practice from inception. He started to pursue his career under direct mentorship of Lusungu Gondwe. He worked for our Practice as a Summer Associate before his graduation. He proceeded to work as a Lawyer and made Partner in 2016.
General Professional experience
Over the years, Mr. Hara practiced as General Counsel and served a diverse Client base on multivariate disputes. His pathway has been filled by vast variety of cases ranging from Civil and Criminal litigation; Tax disputes; Public and Administrative law disputes; Commercial, Industrial and Contractual litigation, mediation and arbitration; Banking, debt collection and restructuring. He has also been involved in multivariate transactional practice.
Specialized Professional Experience
From the year 2018, Mr Hara unlocked to specialize in Tax Law Practice. His practice is now focused on tax disputes in the area of: personal and corporate income tax, Value Added Tax, Customs, trade & Excise Tax, International Tax including Transfer Pricing. Mr Hara often represents clients before many different levels of the tax dispute resolution process such as before the Malawi Revenue Authority for compliance, audits, objections, negotiations, mediation and appeals. He also represents clients in appeals and reviews before the Special Referee/Arbitrator, the Revenue Division of the High Court of Malawi and the Malawi Supreme Court of Appeal.
• Corporate and Income Tax Practice
• Customs, trade and excise tax Practice and advisory,
• International Taxation, Planning, Compliance and Cross-Border-tax
• Transfer Pricing
• Trusts and Asset Protection,
• Tax planning and wealth Management for individuals, as well as tax planning for small and growing businesses, individuals and foreign corporations
Future Specialist Training
Mr Hara is working towards obtaining an LLM in International Tax Law in 2020/21.
• Tax Law- Civil, Administrative and Criminal Litigation, Arbitration, Appeals, Assessments, Audits and Compliance
• International tax Law-Litigation, Planning, Advisory and Compliance
• Dispute Resolution- litigation, Mediation and Appeals.